- See also: Chromatic Orb (avenger).
This spell creates a 4-inch-diameter sphere that can be hurled unerringly to its target. The orb's effects depend on the level of the caster:
|1||Inflicts 1d4 magical damage and blinds the target for 1 round.|
|2||Inflicts 1d6 fire damage and "pain" upon the victim: penalty of 1 to Armor Class and THAC0 for 1 round.|
|3||Inflicts 1d8 magical damage and additionally burns the victim for 1d3 fire damage.|
|4||Inflicts 1d10 magical damage and blinds the target for 4 rounds.|
|5 + 6||Inflicts 1d12 magical damage and stuns the target for 3 rounds.|
|7 and up||Inflicts 2d8 magical damage and paralyzes the victim for 13 rounds.|
- In Icewind Dale, this spell is not as reliable for spellcasting interruption as Magic Missile, unlike in the Baldur's Gate series, because here a successful save completely negates all effects from this spell.
- On the other hand, the big advantage is that enemies do NOT receive any bonus to their Save against this spell in Icewind Dale, whereas in case of the Baldur's Gate series, enemies receive a whopping +6 Bonus to Save vs. this spell, which makes its secondary effects (like Paralyzation) inconsistent, and ineffective against most high-level enemies.
- The Blindness effect works on undead creatures as well.
- Pomab's Emporium - 2nd floor - left bookshelf